Central Renewal Services - Mail promotion scam

7 of 7 Central Renewal Services reviews

Several months ago I agreed to receive a promotional package in the mail.If I took the offer I would pay so much a month and receive big discounts at gas stations and other places.

After I hung up the phone I thought why did I agree to this offer? Oh well, I thought, I'll just cancel it when the package arrives in the mail since I have thirty days to decide. When the package arrived I found the cancellation phone number and cancelled the offer, thinking that was the end of it. What I didn't know was that hidden in all the brochures and pamphlets was a magazine subscription.

This subscription was one that automatically went into effect if I DIDN'T cancel in 2 months. I didn't cancel it because I didn't even see it and I thought cancelling the gas savings deal would cancel everything. A few days ago the lady called me up to confirm my address or something. I said what for?

She said for the magazine subscription. I said what magazine subscription? It seems that I agreed to a 3 yr subscription to a bunch of *** magazines for a total of $1,700. I was LIVID.

I raved and ranted and then hung up the phone. She called me back and said hanging up the phone isn't going to get you out of the subscription. Then she offered me a deal where she would get the subscription down to 2 1/2 years and reduce the monthly charge by ten dollars. Like an *** I agreed to it.

After thinking about it I called back and got another girl. I told her that I didn't want any magazine subscription whether it was the one that came with the gas savings offer or the one that I was offered at the reduced number of months and payments. The girl said the only transaction she had for me was the one I had just made that day, so I cancelled it and got a confirmation number. Then I cancelled my master card and ordered a new one.

So far I haven't received any magazines, and if I do I will not open them.

The first lady who called me said they had already billed the magazine company so I was oblligated to pay.What should I do?

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
7 of 7 Central Renewal Services reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 11 #1225391 Schenectady, New York, United States

Im on here reading hundreds of complaints from dealing with this company. I signed up for a pebbles credit card and next thing ya know I'm getting bill collectors phone calls so i ask what do i owe? all the while its for magazines that I've never received so i went threw the cancellation process saying i wish not to renew any future services. thought it was all done there. Then 2 months later I'm getting phone calls again saying i owe $ 49.99 per month on magazines that have never came threw the mail. So i go to the bank and get 3 months of statements and there number to central renewal service. I call the number and my phone has full service but keeps dropping the call as if it was to purposely do that. i even try using someone else's phone. This is so wrong! They have been taking $49.99 per month for 9 months. Who do you call to get this resolved? or get your money back? so upset!!

jessica

Feb 15, 2011 #249193

This just happened to me too- I was trying to purchase something and my card didn't go through because they charged me 59.90 for a subscription that I had cancelled back in January when I had THOUGHT I cancelled a renewal. I just got off the phone with 'Tanisha' telling me that they would look for the recorded phone messsage. Did anyone get refunded by the bank OR CRS because this is not ok!

Taylor

Oct 26, 2010 #204501

Same thing happened to me. When I called to find out what it was they said I was obliged blah blah blah. I thought it was 39.99 ONE TIME, not for a few years totalling almost $1200! When I got the letter detailing this I called the number and talked to a nice girl named Natalie. She canceled it for me and listed the reason as "can't afford it". That's absolutely true, I'm in school full time, have two part time jobs, I'm on a research team for a major university, I'm also engaged and trying to save enough for an apartment. I just got a call today from someone not at all helpful that said they could lower it to $20 a month, that he had a recording that's a binding contract, and that the cancellation was no good. When I asked to speak to someone higher up he wouldn't acknowledge the question and said the company "may very well pursue this". When I asked if that meant court he said he didn't say that. When I asked for him to explain what I meant because I didn't understand he wouldn't. I was so angry! He said he had to give me a quality control number after lecturing me about being a man and owning up to my responsibilities. I told him I was driving and couldn't write it down. He gave it to me anyway because he "wasn't going to lose his job over this". I work for the visa department at the bank where I have my accounts. They're going to be surprised at the fight I'm bringing them tomorrow! I am NOT paying this! I just checked the Better Business Bureau and they are NOT... Show more

1 0 Reply
Dera

Oct 06, 2010 #197708

ah I'm sorry the same thing is happeneing to me but I was using my grandmothers credit card~ I also got an email from that Cindy lady saying the account was canceled and they refunded the first charge~ but at the end of last month another charge was on the card and I started getting magazines again~ And now i don't know what to do~ I have all the cancellation stuff to prove they said it was over...should i cancel the card? or should i email her again and be like "doode...what the ***?"

Joan Dysico

Sep 22, 2010 #192831

I just received a call from Cenral Renewal Service. They told me that they received my subscription from some shopping network. That they were prepaid and that I have to pay for the subscription for 60 months. The only way I can opt for this to stop is to pay $49.99. I even mention to the rep Nathaniel Gray was his name that I thought this to be very suspicious. I quickly researched them online and found that there is a scam going around regarding CRS(Cental Renewal Service). I went to check my account and found that they charged this amount. I found the 800 number that was attached and called customer service. They said that they cancel the transaction. The 800 number that Nathaniel Gray (rep) gave me was a none working number. Thank goodness that I got the 800 number through my bank transactions so that I can call to cancel. Hope my post will help others out. I also went to consumers complaint website to place a complaint on these scammers.

Martin

Aug 23, 2010 #179641

Well, I see that I am only one of many who fell for this scam. Now I don't feel so bad. First thing in the morning I will call my bank and tell them I lost my card and will need a new one. Thanks everyone for enlightening me. I will never let this happen again! Trust me!!

samehere.....but

Aug 12, 2010 #175325

they called me saying i signed up for magazines. and said i had to pay 60$ a month for 30 months! i hung up and called my brother who is a secret service agent and he said he would handle it. he also said to call your banks and tell them your credit card is lost/stolen. they will issue you a new card so that way they cannot charge your banks.

Goozo

Jul 29, 2010 #170077

Ann -
Do what matteo suggested. The same thing happened to me, i wrote into their customer support from their website and BITCHED them out for what they claimed I owed. I said it was a bad business practice, it sounded illegal and im flat out not paying it. Any company with any sense of decency would let it go, and they did. I received an email saying they were going to leave me alone and so far that is that....

ann

Jul 24, 2010 #168159

someone called and said I would be recieving mags. WHAT I don't even read! Had the first 4 digets of bank card. Said I purchased a Walmart card and aggreed to a subscription. $68 something per month or can reduce to 2 years for 30 per month but needed to make a recording. No I sent a certified letter drop dead letter but recieve mags. everyweek and send them back return to sender. Any help too stop this? I did cancel card so no asscess to money

Goozo

Jul 09, 2010 #162648

This is happening to me right now, they keep calling me back claim they're sending me magazines...i canceled the service 2 years ago after the initial call! Now, 2 years later, they're asking me permission to bill be again for the rest of my '4 year deal' that I canceled, they were confused that they couldnt bill my card, i told them it was because I told my card company not to accept charges from them.

I dont quite understand it all, but I plan on contacting the better business burreu and a lawyer because this seems like extortion (havent even received a product) and harassment.

Furture Thoughts for the wise

May 22, 2010 #146277 Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

When some one calls you and offers you some thing like the gas card inform them
you are on a no call list and if youare not on a no call list get on one it doesnt cost any thing or just hang up on them like I do or did before I got on the no call list the people that are calling you is trying to make a liveing
so dont get to mad at them its the poeple they work for.
and if you recive a bill dont pay it if
the company wants to push it then take them to court dont sign nothing unless you understand what it says and if you didnt sign it dont worry about it there
is no binding contact.

CornFlakes

May 14, 2010 #143384

LET ME YOU THE GOODWILL IN ELDORADO, AR IS FULL OF ***, ONEDAY EVERYONE WAS GETTIN READY TO GO A WAKE AND THE F SERVICES WAS THE NEXT DAY, THIS OLDER LADY WANTED TO GO, SO SHE DID NOT OWN A BLACK DRESS, SO WE CALL THE GOODWILL AND ASKED COULD PLEASE DONATE A DRESS FOR THE ELDERLY LADY, THE MANAGER OF THE STORE SAID NO, GOODWILL DO NOT GIVE OUT, THEY TAKE IN AND SHE ALSO SAID BRING IN $5.00 TO $10.00 AND YOU CAN BUY HER A DRESS, NOW FIRST OF ALL PEOPLE DONATE CLOTHES AND ETC. TO GOODWILL, SO WE CALL A ANOTHER PLACE NAME PET SAKE, AND THEY WERE SO NICE, AND WE DID NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, BUT INSTEAD EVERYONE PUT IN MONEY AND WE GOT HER A DRESS, SO I FEEL YOU ON GOODWILL, THEY ARE FULL OF *** :?

0 1 Reply
matteo

May 12, 2010 #142592

HEY YOO, the same thing happened to me and i got it canceled!! woot, so yea i got offered gas card from some telemarketer and i always feel bad for those guys so for some idiotic reason i stayed on for the entire call, then 2 months later i get a call from central renewal service that theyre gonna bill me 1700$ over 2 years or sumtin, i was like back up you aint doin that, cancel, and the girl said she could drop it to 50$ and i thought it was 50$ for one month and that was it, but ovbiously she meant 50$ a month for 2 years, so they charged me 50$. once i realized i called back and explained my situation to a lady and she said i couldnt do anything so i said *** you, but that didnt help. Then i called my bank and reported my card was stolen to get the 50$ back, i figured that would cancel my subscription but it didnt, cuz a week or so later, i got a letter from the company saying i didn't pay and they were gonna charge me a late fee. So heres how i got it cancelled, i went to their website, and hit the contact customer service, i gave em my name and what not, and in the customer feedback section i went livid, i said my card was stolen, im a college student and i dont even have 1500 to be throwing away at useless magazines i don't want, i also said i would cancel my bank account and hide all my money under my matress before i give you guys any, i also said that the representative i talked to was very bad and not helpful whatsoever. about 5 hours later i recieved this... Show more

Lynette

May 10, 2010 #142029

I've ordered items and at the end of the transaction I get, 'choose x # of free magazines.' I think my credit card info went to the magazine subscription service. This service has subsequently called 3 times saying they have my credit card on file and it's time to renew the subs. I told them to delete my info, never call again and if I'm charged I'll have my bank do a charge back. I never even got any of the stinkin' magazines in the 1st place. Bottom line, assume nothing's free!

sure thing

May 07, 2010 #141302

That happened to me too..did they ask you for your social security number and everyting? they already had my credit card on file...I canceled my card and filed a complaint with the attourney general...have you taken legal action?

yup

May 04, 2010 #140246

same thing happened to me. i just got off the phone with her an hour ago and canceled my card. Sounds like a scam. any self righteous company would have the decency of taking something back if you dont want them. Especially a *** magazine company, are they really that desperate?

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Central Renewal Services. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Central Renewal Services.
Filing a new complaint about
×