Germantown, Maryland

Several months ago I agreed to receive a promotional package in the mail.If I took the offer I would pay so much a month and receive big discounts at gas stations and other places.

After I hung up the phone I thought why did I agree to this offer? Oh well, I thought, I'll just cancel it when the package arrives in the mail since I have thirty days to decide. When the package arrived I found the cancellation phone number and cancelled the offer, thinking that was the end of it. What I didn't know was that hidden in all the brochures and pamphlets was a magazine subscription.

This subscription was one that automatically went into effect if I DIDN'T cancel in 2 months. I didn't cancel it because I didn't even see it and I thought cancelling the gas savings deal would cancel everything. A few days ago the lady called me up to confirm my address or something. I said what for?

She said for the magazine subscription. I said what magazine subscription? It seems that I agreed to a 3 yr subscription to a bunch of *** magazines for a total of $1,700. I was LIVID.

I raved and ranted and then hung up the phone. She called me back and said hanging up the phone isn't going to get you out of the subscription. Then she offered me a deal where she would get the subscription down to 2 1/2 years and reduce the monthly charge by ten dollars. Like an *** I agreed to it.

After thinking about it I called back and got another girl. I told her that I didn't want any magazine subscription whether it was the one that came with the gas savings offer or the one that I was offered at the reduced number of months and payments. The girl said the only transaction she had for me was the one I had just made that day, so I cancelled it and got a confirmation number. Then I cancelled my master card and ordered a new one.

So far I haven't received any magazines, and if I do I will not open them.

The first lady who called me said they had already billed the magazine company so I was oblligated to pay.What should I do?

Had an Experience with Central Renewal Services?

Comments

Schenectady, New York, United States #1225391

Im on here reading hundreds of complaints from dealing with this company.I signed up for a pebbles credit card and next thing ya know I'm getting bill collectors phone calls so i ask what do i owe?

all the while its for magazines that I've never received so i went threw the cancellation process saying i wish not to renew any future services. thought it was all done there. Then 2 months later I'm getting phone calls again saying i owe $ 49.99 per month on magazines that have never came threw the mail. So i go to the bank and get 3 months of statements and there number to central renewal service.

I call the number and my phone has full service but keeps dropping the call as if it was to purposely do that. i even try using someone else's phone. This is so wrong! They have been taking $49.99 per month for 9 months.

Who do you call to get this resolved?

or get your money back?so upset!!

jessica

This just happened to me too- I was trying to purchase something and my card didn't go through because they charged me 59.90 for a subscription that I had cancelled back in January when I had THOUGHT I cancelled a renewal. I just got off the phone with 'Tanisha' telling me that they would look for the recorded phone messsage. Did anyone get refunded by the bank OR CRS because this is not ok!

Taylor
#204501

Same thing happened to me.When I called to find out what it was they said I was obliged blah blah blah.

I thought it was 39.99 ONE TIME, not for a few years totalling almost $1200! When I got the letter detailing this I called the number and talked to a nice girl named Natalie. She canceled it for me and listed the reason as "can't afford it". That's absolutely true, I'm in school full time, have two part time jobs, I'm on a research team for a major university, I'm also engaged and trying to save enough for an apartment.

I just got a call today from someone not at all helpful that said they could lower it to $20 a month, that he had a recording that's a binding contract, and that the cancellation was no good. When I asked to speak to someone higher up he wouldn't acknowledge the question and said the company "may very well pursue this". When I asked if that meant court he said he didn't say that. When I asked for him to explain what I meant because I didn't understand he wouldn't.

I was so angry! He said he had to give me a quality control number after lecturing me about being a man and owning up to my responsibilities. I told him I was driving and couldn't write it down. He gave it to me anyway because he "wasn't going to lose his job over this".

I work for the visa department at the bank where I have my accounts. They're going to be surprised at the fight I'm bringing them tomorrow! I am NOT paying this!

I just checked the Better...

Dera
#197708

ah I'm sorry the same thing is happeneing to me but I was using my grandmothers credit card~ I also got an email from that Cindy lady saying the account was canceled and they refunded the first charge~ but at the end of last month another charge was on the card and I started getting magazines again~ And now i don't know what to do~ I have all the cancellation stuff to prove they said it was over...should i cancel the card? or should i email her again and be like "doode...what the ***?"

Joan Dysico
#192831

I just received a call from Cenral Renewal Service.They told me that they received my subscription from some shopping network.

That they were prepaid and that I have to pay for the subscription for 60 months. The only way I can opt for this to stop is to pay $49.99. I even mention to the rep Nathaniel Gray was his name that I thought this to be very suspicious. I quickly researched them online and found that there is a scam going around regarding CRS(Cental Renewal Service).

I went to check my account and found that they charged this amount. I found the 800 number that was attached and called customer service. They said that they cancel the transaction. The 800 number that Nathaniel Gray (rep) gave me was a none working number.

Thank goodness that I got the 800 number through my bank transactions so that I can call to cancel.

Hope my post will help others out.I also went to consumers complaint website to place a complaint on these scammers.

Martin

Well, I see that I am only one of many who fell for this scam.Now I don't feel so bad.

First thing in the morning I will call my bank and tell them I lost my card and will need a new one. Thanks everyone for enlightening me.

I will never let this happen again!Trust me!!

samehere.....but

they called me saying i signed up for magazines.and said i had to pay 60$ a month for 30 months!

i hung up and called my brother who is a secret service agent and he said he would handle it.

he also said to call your banks and tell them your credit card is lost/stolen.they will issue you a new card so that way they cannot charge your banks.

Goozo

Ann -

Do what matteo suggested.The same thing happened to me, i wrote into their customer support from their website and BITCHED them out for what they claimed I owed.

I said it was a bad business practice, it sounded illegal and im flat out not paying it.

Any company with any sense of decency would let it go, and they did.I received an email saying they were going to leave me alone and so far that is that....

ann

someone called and said I would be recieving mags.WHAT I don't even read!

Had the first 4 digets of bank card. Said I purchased a Walmart card and aggreed to a subscription. $68 something per month or can reduce to 2 years for 30 per month but needed to make a recording. No I sent a certified letter drop dead letter but recieve mags.

everyweek and send them back return to sender.

Any help too stop this?I did cancel card so no asscess to money

Goozo

This is happening to me right now, they keep calling me back claim they're sending me magazines...i canceled the service 2 years ago after the initial call! Now, 2 years later, they're asking me permission to bill be again for the rest of my '4 year deal' that I canceled, they were confused that they couldnt bill my card, i told them it was because I told my card company not to accept charges from them.

I dont quite understand it all, but I plan on contacting the better business burreu and a lawyer because this seems like extortion (havent even received a product) and harassment.